Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I can't help myself...people must go to the farmers' markets right now and get some new potatoes! They are so good and you don't have to do anything fancy to them.

New potatoes have this wonderful earthy character that potatoes that have been stored seem to lose. Make sure you ask the vendor if the potatoes are "new." I am seeing them every week now in Marin.


I just slice them as shown in the pic. Boil in well-salted water for a few minutes. Make sure not to over cook them. They should retain some of their 'waxy' texture. It is ok for them to be a little toothsome. They seem to taste better that way to me. Drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Add back to the pan with a generous piece of unsalted butter and a tablespoon or so of the cooking liquid. Check for salt. Add a couple twists of the pepper grinder and voila! Add a little chopped parsley if you like, or any herb you have on hand. These things are so delicious you don't want to fuss with them.


My absolute favorite thing to eat with these potatoes is the fresh wild local salmon that is in season right now. It is a match made in heaven. If I served rice with salmon at my house they'd suspect something was seriously wrong with me! New potatoes are the best!

No comments :

Post a Comment